Thursday, October 29, 2009

Structure

My newest obstacle is one of fundamental proportions; structuring my website with intricate details, links, integrating program files, etc., is not as easily achieved as I had hoped, or thought.

In order to successfully develop my site, I will need to be sure and maintain a good sense of organization within my site root, to be attentive to its overall size, and create the correct linkage within folders. In addition, it is important to export files correctly. For instance, exporting a Dreamweaver file as a (.html) will only make coding content available for viewing.

An aspect of my site that has worked out, which was a sort of happy accident, was my desire to incorporate a wider range of text, color, and other design capabilities outside of Dreamweaver's constrictions. In other words, I have certain fonts that I wish for my site to incorporate. Because Dreamweaver offers only a select few, of which my choices are not apart, I decided to produce the text in Illustrator beforehand. The only issue with my method is that the text will become part of the imported image. As a result, I am unable to highlight words to create links, and other various options granted by Dreamweaver when utilizing its fonts. Instead I will be creating hotspots as a method for linking. Dreamweaver allows for hotspots to be drawn with a tool located on the properties menu, located at the bottom of the interface.

Helpful Hints:

- Be sure to label all folders appropriately

- All main folders should be placed within the site root folder. However, larger files, such as large PDFs, should be stored outside of the site root. The larger files may be linked to later.

- Do not be afraid to approach the web design from your own comfort zones. Feel free to create your pages and content with any program, though I do suggest Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, and Dreamweaver.

- Remember to save files with appropriate extensions.

No comments:

Post a Comment